Why testing your blood glucose is important
Testing your blood sugar regularly can help you take an active role managing your diabetes.
1. What is HbA1c and why the HbA1c test is essential?
- HbA1c measures your average blood glucose concentration over a period of about 3 months. It plays an important role in managing your diabetes and shows how well your blood glucose levels are being controlled month after month.
- Your doctor or nurse will tell you how often you need to have the test done but most people are tested twice a year.
- MyStar Extra® is the first meter providing an estimated HbA1c (~A1c) value. Click here to read more.
2. Why testing your blood glucose regularly is important
- HbA1c is a key indicator for long term blood glucose control. Your doctor will use this test to see how well you are managing your diabetes month after month but it doesn’t show the daily effects of factors like food or physical activity.
- Your finger-prick blood test tells you how much glucose is in your blood right now. Testing your blood glucose with a meter regularly is a great way of keeping track of your diabetes on a daily basis.
- Testing regularly will help you: understand how food, exercise, illness and other factors can impact your blood sugar levels, improve your diabetes management, and decide with your doctor what the best treatment options are for you.
How to test your blood sugar
- Blood Glucose testing is an important way of keeping an eye on what’s going on, and an essential tool for managing your diabetes.
- Testing your blood sugar involves using a lancing device, putting a drop of blood on a test strip and then placing the strip into a meter that displays your blood sugar level.
- The MyStar SylkFeel® lancing device can help you reduce the pain that you might experience from frequent testing with its depth feature allowing you to choose how deep you lance.
- Your doctor or diabetes care team will show you how to use the lancing device and blood glucose meters and will tell how often you need to test and when.
- You can use the Blood Glucose monitoring diary (available to order from our Diabetes Care Line on 08000 352525) to track your levels and see if there are any patterns you need to discuss with your doctor.
Discover our range of products on the right hand tab.
Want more information on the MyStar Extra®? Call our Diabetes Care Line on 08000 352525 to find out more about the devices, their lifetime guarantee and how you can get free replacement batteries.